From: "Nate Duehr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 04:31
Subject: Re: [dstar_digital] How do I join in a discussion on another repeater ?

On Aug 27, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Mark wrote:

> Here is the scenario
>
> I am in range of repeater GB7YD which has a connection to the gateway
>
> My friends are having a conversation on GB7SF which is out of my radio
> range, this group of friends includes some users accessing GB7SF via
> the gateway ( DV Dongle )

Okay, because you have on-air users on two Gateways, as well as Dongle
users attached to only one... you have limited options that will work.

Ray's idea won't work because he didn't take the Dongle users into
account.

Mark's comments are good about making sure everyone routes to their
local Gateway (as we all should, pretty much all the time unless
there's some pressing need NOT to send traffic out the Gateway -- not
routing to the local Gateway means Dongle users can't join in).

So you have these options:

Icom's way:  Get the admins to set up a multicast group.  However I
don't think multicast works for Dongle users.  So that one's probably
out.  If you can get the folks off the Dongles, it works as designed,
and pretty well, from what I've heard.

New way: Link the repeaters using DPlus.  As far as your question
about whether or not the admins have to do it, that's totally up to
them.  Around here, we've opened up DPlus control to all.  Seems silly
to have a tool that only "certain" users are trusted to use.  If it
gets abused, we'll change our opinion, but until then... why not allow
everyone to link?  Dongle users connected to one Gateway will be heard
on the other when linked, I believe.  (Haven't tested that extensively
myself.  Just what it's "supposed" to do, I think.)

Another option:  Link both repeaters to a non-busy Reflector channel
somewhere.  Have the Dongle users attach to the Reflector.

Nothing you can do via callsign routing will make it so the Dongle
users will be heard out both Gateways, unfortunately... only DPlus can
offer options for that, either by system-to-system linking or a
Reflector.

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X
[EMAIL PROTECTED]