  From: Woodrick, Ed
  To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:07 PM
  Subject: RE: [dstar_digital] D-RATS Problem

  Dan,

  One of the issues when repeaters are connected to the reflectors is that
there is a significant delay between when you finish transmitting and when it
is safe to start transmitting again. In general, the delay is about 6 seconds.
What happens is that the VOIP data stream has to clear all of the way out of
all of the queues before you can safely start streaming again. In a reflector
situation, you have the source gateway, reflector, and the destination gateway
all queuing the signal.

  In most instances, if I am transmitting and I quickly drop my carrier (as
would be common by shifting your hand on the radio) for less than even a
second, any additional transmissions will be lost, just thrown into the bit
bucket.

  The implementation of data out of the controller is half-duplex, but the
radios are of course full-duplex. That just doesn't mix that well.

  In testing 0.2.4, it doesn't seem as if you ever recognized the start of
transfer message. But even if you did, you'd need to wait about 6 seconds
before responding, or else the transmission will never get back to the source.

  In addition to the file transfer, it seemed as if there were a fairly high
number of instances where the leading bytes evidently got stripped off, which
of course meant the message was lost. The remainder of the message seemed to be
100% copy, so I don't think that it was noise related.

  Just for your info, Hurricane and Weather updates were being sent numerous
times during the net. These are copied off of another data source and then
pasted into the itsy bitsy transmit window. Having some method to make the end
to end process more efficient would be nice. It's not as much the original cut
and pasting as being able to see and manipulate the received message. Something
along the line of a different type of form that you can just paste the data
into and hit send, with no specific destination would be nice, a broadcast
message. And then have the option to ring bell and blink screen at the
receiving stations.