Cly,

This helps a lot.

When you say check in access for the nets, was that a net on a reflector
where someone had already linked your local repeater to the reflector?

Now for the other cases, I will assume the Charlotte KI4WXS
<http://metro-uhf.org/> repeater is your local repeater.

For everything you describe, other than simplex your setup will include:
RPT1: KI4WXS^B (I only see a 70 cm repeater that you can get with your 91AD)
RPT2: KI4WXS^G
MY: N4CLY

Let's say you want to call Nate on 2m in Denver, there are two different
ways to do it::

UR: WX0Y  (Let the gateway figure out which repeater Nate was last on
and send your transmission there.)
UR: /W0CDS^C (Tell the gateway to send your transmission out the 'C'
module on W0CDS in Colorado - be sure to announce on voice that you are
at KI4WXS^B  so that folks can program their radios accordingly.)

If you make either of these calls on a regular basis, program one of
your 400 band B channels with the 4 callsigns (much easier if you use
the RS91 software) - label the channel and* tune to it *when you want to
talk Nate and/or Colorado.  Do the same with any frequently used remote
repeaters or stations that you regularly call..

If someone called you through your local repeater via the gateway, you
actually have 3 options. If you immediately press RX.CS button in the
lower right hand corner (before any other calls come in), it will set UR
to their callsign and you can call them right back.  Or if they announce
their repeater, and you already have it in a memory, tune that memory
and call them back, if you don't you have to manually enter it.  Lastly
you could manually enter their callsigns.

That's the gateway cases.

Now if you want to talk to someone on 23cm in Charlotte where the
repeater is on the same controller as your local 70cm repeater, that is
the one other case and you might want to plug this into memory.

UR: CQCQCQ (or their callsign, if they use callsign squelch)
RPT1: KI4XWS^B
RPT2: KI4XWS^A
MY: N4CLY

Now when you call out, your transmission will come out locally on both
70cm and 23cm -- you might put this in memory C0 or C1 (Call) if you use
it on a regular basis, then you can just press the 'CALL' button (same
physical button ax RX.CS)

You might look at:
http://www.dstarinfo.com/Calculator/DSTAR%20Web%20Calculator.aspx?Source=KI4WXS
for more examples.