Jim wrote:
> Thanks for the sync cable info ne????? what type of GPS can I get (not
> a lot of $$$) that can directly plug into ID800

I use a Garmin Geko 201 with a serial cable on my IC92AD. It needs to be set
into NMEA mode @ 4800bps (default is Garmin Binary @ 9600bps). I also have a
GPS 'mouse' from Deluo that is serial connected, but it needs separate power.
The Geko has 2xAAA batteries in it, so it is more selfcontained.

If you are looking for a permanent install, then the SirfStar III GPS units
from Argent are good. I got my Deluo from Scott @ Argent ($60 at the moment),
but I believe he has sourced some equivalents that are even cheaper ($53). You
will need a 12V to 5V converter to power the GPS and make a transition cable
from the Icom that incorporates DC (unless the Icom supplies 5V on its
output). A 12V USB adapter might be the cheapest way of doing this as the GPS
doesn't need much power.

The SirfStar III chipset based GPS get a lock very quickly, and so they don't
need to be powered on all the time. If they're on an ignition switched circuit
in the car then they'll have a fix in 30s to 60s. Only proviso is that I
haven't hooked the Deluo up to the IC92AD yet, so someone else out there may
like to confirm it works -- I still need to build up the interface cable that
gives the GPS power.

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=61
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=85

David.
--
David Ingram (VK4TDI P)
To avoid spam trap, send email to dave at ingramtech dot com