Robert M. Kimbrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Debbie Fligor wrote:
>
>> The other reason they don't have this is when the speaker-mic cable is
>> connected, the built-in mic and speaker on the HT don't work. When the
>> RS232 cable is connected, they do.
>>

> The speaker-mic cable does not disable the internal mic.  I verified this
> before buying it because I wanted to use an external speaker while mobile.
> The radio has surprisingly abundant audio with an external speaker.
>
> Bob Kimbrell W7KU Kansas City, MO
Bob,

I tried this arrangement with an external speaker and my external mic
would not key
the transmitter until I used both sides of the mic plug.

Are you using the radio PTT switch with external speaker? I can see
where that would
work but be unhandy if coupled to an external antenna.

73,

Nick
WB4SQI