I drop back to common sense on this question:

1.       What is the purpose of an ID?  So the FCC or anyone listening can
contact you if your transmissions are causing a problem.

2.       Can the FCC or anyone else figure out who you are if they need to,
from the full content of your transmission if you don't ID in voice?

I say yes, they can.

Someone else pointed out that one of the rigs offered by one manufacturer
can't see the callsigns, but that's a limitation of the rig, not the
protocol.

You're still sending it, even if their rig can't see it. your callsign is
there in the on-air emission.

Nate WY0X