Hello Richie,

I am sure you will receive many different but similar replies about
range.  I am finding coverage very similar to analog except multipath
interference seems to affect the dstar digital signal more so than it
affects analog.  When stationary dstar seems to have a slight advantage
in coverage.  Not to mention that static, popping, and background noise
are replaced by loss of sync, sometimes called r2d2 after the star wars
robot character.

Simplex transmissions are still in dstar format and just as in FM you
can have a nice round table chat.  With internet gateways and
reflectors, and such, dstar seems far less tolerant of collisions or
doubling on overs, so it is much smoother to direct the next 'over' to a
particular station rather than just throwing it in the air for someone
to catch.  It is not uncommon to not receive an entire transmission when
2 local transmitters collide and the gateway looses the header information.

I find the IC2820 particularly difficult to view because of the size of
the display especially the UR and RX Message fields that are very small
and even with contrast and brightness controls are very difficult to
view while driving.

Best 73, Steve NU5D

--
"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die
so that you may live as you wish."  Mother Teresa