The 880 (and 80) are new radios to most of us, but on some of the newer
radios (2820/92) you have to both enable the GPS (tell the radio one is
connected) and set a DV mode that tells the radio which sentences you
are using and whether to use GPS or GPS-A encoding.

As well as the null modem, be sure the GPS is sending at the right baud
rate (usually 4800).

--
John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE <http://k7ve.org>