Would the speaker/mic accessory help?  I tend to use those with HTs when I'm in
a noisy environment anyway, since if necessary I can move it closer to my ear.

  Jim - K6XZ

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: skoone1
  To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 5:40 AM
  Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: Where to look for an IC-80AD review?

  I absolutely agree! I love this radio and everything it does but I can't
stand the audio from this itty bitty built-in speaker. What was Icom thinking?
It's tinny sounding, almost like the speaker cone itself is being squashed up
against the rest of the guts in the front panel. I'm sticking with my '92
simply because I can hear it! I haven't yet tried an external speaker/mic with
the '80 but that might well help out. Otherwise, same assessment on this end.
It's a great radio and works well. Display is very easy to read and the radio
is generally easy to use. The receiver is acceptable and the transmit audio is
quite impressive! The programming software is now free and one can make their
own cable in a matter of a few minutes. Regardless, I too have to knock off at
minimum a couple of brownie points because of the internal speaker issues.

  73-
  Steve
  KA4YMY
  .