Hello!

After a while using D-Star and discussing the audio quality of each specific
radio in our repeaters, we realize the following:

-          IC-91, IC92 and IC-2200 have the best audio quality. The audio is
richer and have bass which others lack. It’s a common sense that the audio
of those radios are more pleasant to listen to.

-          ID-800H, ID-880H and IC-2820H are the worst in audio quality. The
audio lacks miserable of low frequencies and is quite common a newbie ask
why some TX sounds better than others. So, it’s something that eventually
most will notice.

I have the chance to ask Ray Novak from Icom about this matter and he said
to me:

“It’s that way because the engineers think the tinny audio cuts better the
noise in long distance QSOs”.

Maybe, but we live under repeaters, we talk a lot over here and the audio of
those radios are awful. By the way, this is a recurring complain in forums
like eham.net. So we here are not alone and being pick. Maybe in FM is a
pro, but in digital, which already lacks of audio quality, is a very bad
proposition.

There is a modification trying to fix this here:
http://www.mods.dk/view.php?ArticleId=4098. I performed this mod, which help
a little, something like 20% in my opinion. But still not even close the
quality from portables and IC-2200H. I’m sure is just a matter of tweaking
the filter in the MIC input circuits. So I would like to know if you guys
are having the same feeling about those radios and if someone already manage
to fix the audio to sound as good as IC-2200H. I have the service manuals of
most of these radios, but I’m nothing getting any better, since I just know
digital circuits and not too much of audio circuits.

Any thoughts will be welcome.

73's de PY2JF

João Roberto S. G. Ferreira

py...@cram.org.br