As I said, it will be like SSB and AM on HF, FM will still be around
(using 50 year old radios if you want - but don't complain if the
front end is too wide :) ).  It is not going to happen over night, and
a lot of people will be happy to stay where they are, or will get
upset because their old radio that they spent $400 for 30 years ago
just isn't useful anymore, and so on.

I'm not "knocking 30 year old radios", probably have some around the
shack somewhere myself -- I'm just putting them in context.  If we
bought into the FM Analog technology 30 years ago with new equipment,
in real dollars it cost more than a D-STAR radio today.  New
technology then (now old) vs. new technology now.

I use FM Analog myself and it does have its place, but I think it may
become less important, either because digital becomes dominant or the
hobby dies from stagnation. I would prefer the hobby not die.

It doesn't matter which digital becomes dominant, I believe that
digital will become dominant, and over time it will need to evolve as
well and, at some point, will break compatibility with one standard or
another based on benefits.   Remember vinyl records, reel-to-reel
tape, 4-track, 8-track, cassette, compact discs, high density compact
disc, digital versatile disc (DVD), and blue ray?  One technology
replaces the previous, first little and slow steps then bigger and
faster steps -- now almost all of those is being supplanted by
streaming media over and stored files (MP3, MPEG, etc.).  There is
content (music) available today that you cannot get on vinyl, 8-track,
cassette, or even possibly CD -- you've had to upgrade to the new
technology to keep up.  Same will, and should, happen with a living
and vibrant Amateur Radio Hobby.

D-STAR is the dominant VHF/UHF digital mode for amateur radio
repeaters right now, so it is probably a good bet for the foreseeable
future.  And there are other sources coming (see my previous message
in the thread).  If the amateurs will start designing and building
again, instead of always waiting on their favorite manufacturer, the
mode can grow much faster.  There are egos involved with some of the
current manufacturers (and some cultural issues that make it hard to
do what needs done) so find and support the new manufacturers, shoot
it may be the previously displaced/unemployed ham down the street.

There will probably always be room for the old in this hobby, unless
it is just not appropriate (like spark gap and the interference it
causes), because we are generally a nostalgic lot -- but if we are
unwilling to invest in the future of the hobby, it will fade away.

On Jul 8, 2009, at 11:15 AM, bruce mallon wrote:

> "Amateurs will eventually migrate to digital for VHF/UHF repeaters"
>
> But WHAT digital ..... This is why I have not bought any digital
> radios YET .....
>
> To knock "30 year old radios " is not in the best interest of this
> HOBBY and it IS a HOBBY.
>
> Many people still have and use radios that are 50 years old just
> listen on 75 meters ... Many more just don't see a need to change to
> D-Star APCO-25 PSK-31 or any other digital mode  Myself I'm on 2 SSB
> and some simplex FM and happy with what I'm doing there.
>
> For digital to replace the other modes it will have to compatible
> enough them you can buy from any place or manufacture and it will
> work with all others not just ICOM.
>
> When it gets to that point you will be right at least on FM repeaters.
>
> Bruce
> On 6 since 66

John Hays
Amateur Radio: K7VE