The report that you use says what John indicates. "Many networks" is equal to
"not all networks" and indeed, there was Internet access in downtown New
Orleans and other locations during and after the flooding.

I do not believe that anyone will tell you that a D-STAR repeater is going to
be 100% guaranteed, no matter where it is at. BUT, there are a number of things
that you can count on.

In a disaster, a basic D-STAR repeater can be just as reliable as a FM
repeater. The gateway is not required for operation. So as long as the repeater
continues to work, it provides the same capabilities that an FM repeater would,
PLUS. The PLUS is the ability to send slow speed data and voice over the same
links, even at the same time. So it actually combines the functionality of a
packet node and FM repeater in one package. And even if the repeater dies, this
same capability exists on simplex.

So with a handheld or mobile and a computer, I can send voice and data.

BUT, if Internet access IS available, then I can provide all of the above, as
well as direct communications with remote locations such a State EOCs, FEMA
EOCs, and other government organizations in DC such as the Red Cross.

So if I compare the common non-linked FM repeater to the commonly Internet
connected D-STAR repeater, the D-STAR repeater at it's worst does a heck of a
lot more, and at the best, just blows the functionality of a FM repeater away.
If I have D-STAR radios, then I have the option to use both. If I don't then I
CAN'T use the advanced functionality.

Oh, and for getting Internet connected D-STAR access in disaster areas, that's
where a couple of us have portable repeaters available for deployment. For my
repeater, I travel as close to the area as I can get Internet, whether it is
via cellular modem, hotel Internet, or even a WiFi Hot Spot, the repeater gets
setup and that then gives 20 or so miles of coverage into the impacted area,
which is often all that is needed.

Ed WA4YIH