From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Daron Wilson
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:10 AM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: new to the group

** that is completely wrong. Do you have a service monitor

I don't fix TVs by placing the Integrated Circuits. I don't fix radios by
replacing them either. Most amateurs don't have service monitors anyway. I
don't necessarily even think about replacing the switching board in the
repeater. That's pretty much the same with most modern communication systems.
You don't see the Cellular folks out there with basic service monitors trying
to fix things. You don't see it with P25 systems. That doesn't mean that they
aren't reliable.

** the difference is likely terrain. I can easily work my VHF dstar
repeater 80+ miles out when in a nice spot with virtually LOS to the
hilltop. However, come back 20 miles away behind some big mountains and
trees, and it doesn't work.

So what's the problem, can you not hear the repeater, or can it not hear you?

If the gateway is down, I can talk to ALL of the local users, which is often
the primary target for data communications anyway.

** Yup, but that isn't a link. The original post claimed he could talk to
everyone 'over the links' even though the gateway was down.

Okay, I have no idea what you are referring to, but I DO have data
communications if the Internet is down!

** So what you are telling me.is that while a voice net is fully functioning
and you are not part of it, you are monitoring it, you can transmit data to
send email and the like with the internet connectivity down and all this
without disrupting the voice net? Not possible my friend.

Yup, yep, I can do it. That's one reason why a number of systems have more than
one module. Voice on 144 and data on 440 simultaneously. Works pretty much like
APRS and a voice net.

** please help me understand, shoot me to someone who is doing any of the
above?

They're doing it down in Orlando and Pete was testing/demonstrating some of it
at Hamcom. It's not widespread today, the capabilities are just being made
available.

We have an ID-1 on the same site, we've pushed it 70+ miles
in testing.but it won't go 8 miles to our control ops house because..there
is no line of sight.

Small violins are playing....

You aren't the only location in the US with mountains. And indeed maybe D-STAR
coverage bites around your mountains. But just because you have mountains
doesn't mean that it doesn't work anywhere else. We've got some pretty good
mountains here in Georgia, maybe not 14k, but D-STAR does work through and
around them.

** I'd love to see this in practice, after watching and listening to the
packet reliability needed to keep the stream stable, I'm in awe. I'll do my
part and research these folks. Seems like if it was that easy we'd all have
much better luck with the connectivity. I've only got one installation to
base it on, and that was nowhere near as forgiving as you are explaining.
Furthermore, there was no internet access anywhere in our area when we were
out of services.

As I said, there's a lot of people that have talked on the KJ4BDF repeater when
it was portable over a cellular connection.

** yes..and all that hinges on a local (VERY LOCAL ON 1.2 gHz)
infrastructure that is operating. Two years ago, we were out of power, land
line telephone, internet and cellular service for almost 3 days on the North
Oregon Coast. Guess what, we shot hundreds of winlink messages out. If we
had already setup the Dstar VHF with gateway then, it would have been
useless as we had no internet for the gateway. The nearest hilltop with
internet still working was far too far away to support 1.2 gHz signals.

Again, I never suggested removing anything from the toolbag. Maybe a little bit
of prior planning on your region's part would have been prudent. Sounds like
you might have some single link access into your area. A couple of sat phones
and sat Internet devices certainly would have been useful. I hope that you
didn't solely rely on Winlink.

** My point has been, and remains, that while this coverage can easily be
expected and utilized in many terrains..it is not the case in many others. The
folks that seem to be 'selling' the Dstar solution as so much better than
analog seem to be in areas where line of sight access to the repeater gives
them reasonably good signals and throughput. Please understand. that dog won't
hunt in our terrain. We've tried, we know what works and what doesn't work, and
it is different from what may work in big flat states.

The folks down in LA, San Diego, and Colorado seems to have taught the dog how
to hunt. They've got some pretty big hills down there. They've got some folks
doing amazing commutes on 1.2 GHz. We've got some folks doing some pretty long
distance runs on 1.2 here in Georgia also.

I've never really heard anyone say that "D-STAR does so much better than
analog" most of the folks I hear say that the coverage is similar, sometimes
more, sometimes less.  There have been demonstrated situations where D-STAR
coverage is dramatically more, and I'm sure a number that are dramatically less.

The D-STAR blue pill that you refer to, isn't the case for many other people.
D-STAR has many facets. Many of these have a lot of development to go. It's a
moving target. An Internet connection can give D-STAR a lot of capabilities,
but the lack of a Internet connection doesn't take everything away. D-STAR
isn't going to solve all problems, it's not here to replace anything. But as it
is today, it CAN give us a lot of capabilities that we don't have currently.

Ed WA4YIH