The 880 also has a bigger display area/number of characters on
the screen at once which is a "nice to have"  but not really
necessary feature.

The info that the 800 supposedly "doesn't have" one-touch
callsign programming is incorrect... pressing and holding down
the middle soft button below the screen while receiving a
transmission will temporarily copy the transmitting station's
callsign into the UR field in memory until the rig is moved to
another memory or tuned to another frequency.  One-touch works
fine on the 800, and always has.

I own an 800 and have no real problems with it that the 880 would
"fix"... if that says anything.  Haven't found anything the 880
will do that the 800 won't.

Both have pretty difficult user interfaces from reading the 880
manual, none of that really changed.  The 2820 looks more
"intuitive" to operate, but for the fun-per-dollar ratio, the 800
was the way to go for me... before the 880 was released.

The decision between the 800 and the 880 however, is difficult
for a new buyer... it's really only a "refresh" of the 800, not
any great change to the overall design or operation, in my
opinion.  In this economic climate, I'd save the $100 and plan to
buy the 2820 or the ID-1 later on, perhaps.

The 2820 is the best way to go if you want a "buy it once, never
buy again" mobile for D-STAR, I think.  The ID-1 is a high-end
toy that is only justifyable if you have serious need for the
data capability or you're a big 1.2 GHz fan... I am, but still
can't justify $1000 radio just to play on 1.2 GHz right now...
maybe someday.

--
  Nate Duehr, WY0X
  n...@natetech.com