Sounds like 146.200 is a multiple of an oscillator frequency in
the display driver chipset or similar... the "modification"
probably reworks the display to move the oscillator frequency of
the CPU out of the ham (and maybe nearby commercial) bands?
Just a guess... but sounds plausible to me, having seen a few
similar types of problems in RF transmitter devices and
interference with "themselves" in the past.

The public safety radio probably was on a frequency that also hit
the multiple or there's a missing bypass capacitor on a data line
that needs one, or similar.
--
  Nate Duehr
  n...@natetech.com

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:05 -0500, "John Gianotti"