Make sure the cable is wired correctly for data (it's different for GPS) see:
:
http://cobalt.n5zpr.com/Media/icom_cables.pdf

Also D-STAR data has nothing to do with packet, so don't look in the packet sections of your manual. Also gonig to the D-RATS site and join the support list. Great support there.
--
John D. Hays
206-801-0820