Steps for running dsm on home-made G2 dstar gateways
with no ICOM hardware/software.

1)
Since you are not installing any ICOM hardware/software
you must create the following directories
so dsm can run properly

/opt/products/dstar/dstar_gw/dsgwd
/opt/products/dstar/dstar_gw/dsipsvd

Under folder /opt/products/dstar/dstar_gw/dsgwd
place a copy of dsgwd.conf and edit it
to reflect your own dstar repeater

Under folder /opt/products/dstar/dstar_gw/dsipsvd
place copy of dsipsvd.conf and edit it
to reflect your own dstar repeater.
2)
download dsm_installer_g2 script.

3)
Since I downloaded j2se from SUN about a year ago and
had it installed under  /usr/bin/jdk1.6.0_07 folder, I went to
/opt/products/dstar folder and created a symbolic link
with this command.

Executed this command from within /opt/products/dstar folder:
ln  -s  /usr/bin/jdk1.6.0_07   j2se

4)
I had to change the internal device eth1 in the dsm config files
in the folder /opt/dstarmon, file dstarmonitor.properties
since I do not use eth1, because I use another device
as Internal device.

5)
Executed dsm_installer_g2

6)
That was it. From the dsm log:

PacketCapture: loading native library jpcap.. ok
1 Aug 2009 19:16:47 GMT Outbound connection to DPRSGW-1.dstarusers.org:14580
Connected
1 Aug 2009 19:16:50 GMT Connected to jdbc:mysql://dsm.dstarusers.org:3306/DSTAR2

so far so good.

6)
Not sure if I have to register on some web site. ?

7)
I created an OPEN SOURCE code as a replacement to dsm
that captures packets from repeater but
not decided yet where I will report the data.

But for now I will leave dsm running until I decide
where to report data from my own OPEN SOURCE packet capture.

Scott