--- In dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com, "barrymung" <barrym...@...> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> True, but 'AIOP' doesn't have a very good ring to it really.
>
> Think we should stick to D-Star-VOIP or DV-Voip.  We know what we mean, but
> outsiders will just think we're adding confusion to their systems in reality.
>
> 'Hotspots' directly inject the AMBE voice through the pipe, along with the
> routing info to the reflector or wherever, not totally sure as not played
> with the complete 'hotspot' yet, IE callsign routing etc.
>
> Still, its all good fun and a learning curve for some of us!
>
> 73.
>
> Neil.
> G7EBY.

Hi Neil,

Since I don't read Japanese, I cannot say for sure, but it is my understanding
that the D-STAR specification includes the definition of D-STAR on the
Internet.  I am not sure dplus and indeed "Hotspot" implements that protocol (I
suspect it does not).  If, as I suspect, the UDP packets are encapsulations of
the the D-STAR frames, then it is not analogous to the traditional VOIP model.

If you take one of the common VOIP protocols, SIP (session initiation protocol)
for example.  The control, e.g. addressing, flow, messaging, etc. is managed
through one data stream and the "voice" using one of the standard codecs such a
ulaw, alaw, iblc, gsm, g.729, ... is sent over a separate data stream (another
IP port) using RTP (real time protocol). The voice portion is simply the
encoded voice.  Under D-STAR the voice (AMBE) and messaging (DATA) are
combined, and likely encapsulated with callsign addressing, if not the whole
frame structure over one data stream to a single port.  This is fundamentally
different.  If we must have an *OIP -- I would propose DOIP for D-STAR over IP,
which incidentally, could also include encapsulated DD frames.

John - K7VE