At 01:49 AM 9/1/2009, you wrote:

>I have some experience with mobile HF - http://www.ke5c.net/mobile/

Me too, in the particular environment I'm talking about - rural and
Outback Australia.

>If you want reliable HF communications from say 50 to 500 miles, you
>will need a frequency agile gateway because you are going to have to
>use 160 to 20 meters depending on the time of day, and some days you
>will not have a path on any HF band depending on your range.  You
>will also need a KW in your car as well, particularly if you need to
>pay the 10 db s/n digital penalty.

Typically, 80 and 40 metres are going to be the workhorses for this
sort of operation.  In practice, we would have to make do with these
two bands for legal reasons (quirk of our regulations).  As for the
other bands - 160, not enough people here have mobile setups that are
efficient to get much out of this band.  30m (yes we can use SSB or
any other mode there) works very well at 400+ miles in the higher
sunspot years.

As for power, 100W has proven to be more than adequate, and QRP
portable/mobile stations have managed to reach me from interstate on
SSB while I was mobile (OK, rough copy, but quite useable), so the
paths had somewhat more than 10dB S/N.  The 25dB for digital HF
applies only to the G4CUO mode.  Other HF digital modes will have
different S/N requirements, some more, some less.  FDMDV seems to be
the best performer at lower signal levels (hardly surprising, its
bitrate is much less than G4CUO or DRM).

My point.  Don't write off digital HFvoice.  It's still early
days.  I doubt D-STAR is going to have great performance on HF, but
hey, if one can experiment, why not?  Worst that can happen is it
won't work. ;)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com