While the loss of our clubrooms and equipment is sad, it does pale into
insignificance when you compare it to the loss of 12 family homes two days
before Christmas.

But there is one story from the fire that promotes D-Star and I though I would
share it here.

By the time I first noticed the fire while I was at work,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln456kbAvV4
the cellphone service was fully congested, I was unable to make calls or send
SMS messages.
I did however have my IC-91AD handheld radio with me. I was planning on
connecting up to REF012 B to check in on the San Diego D-Star net at 1430 (my
time).
Instead I connected VK5REX B to REF003 C and put out an emergency call for
assistance from anyone who had immediate access to a telephone.
Steve VK5ZSW replied and I passed my home phone number info to him so he could
contact my wife to let her know that I was OK and that I was going to move to
safer ground. The message was dutifully passed along and Steve confirmed that
my wife got the message. Although Steve was some 170+ Km away in Moonta on the
Yorke Peninsula, he was able to use the VK5REX repeater perfectly.
Ross VK3HBS also heard my call through REF003 C and he too rang my wife with
the message.
It wasn't long after this that the power to Port Lincoln failed. Although the
VK5REX B repeater has a massive backup UPS and 85 kVa generator, the other end
of the WiFi internet link that the gateway uses did not, so I lost internet
connectivity.  This is now being worked on so future power failures will not
stop gateway operation.

Steve remained at his radio during the drama and it was reassuring to know that
he was ready and willing to help with communications as needed.

I also used the VK5REX B D-Star repeater to talk to my father Tony VK5RF, while
I went home to gather essential items ready for evacuation. By the time I got
home the wind had changed and was blowing smoke and ash over a major portion of
Port Lincoln.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuz8ylTKUzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VagyeMXfSTw
I had no idea how bad things would get so I had to assume the worst was yet to
come.
While my wife does not hold an amateur license, she was able to use the UHF CB
radio in our Toyota truck to talk to me in my work car. She was heading (with
our 11mo son Ethan) to my parents home in the marina area of Port Lincoln, way
out of the path of the fire.

The cell phone service was still very congested and once again it was
reassuring to have D-Star as a reliable communications medium during this
emergency. I was able to let everyone at my parents home my progress as I made
my way through smoke filled streets, the work car loaded with essential items
taken from our home (photo albums, office computer, papers, charged gel
batteries, Christmas presents, my wife's insulin, etc.)
Apart from the loss of the gateway, the RF side of the D-Star repeater worked
perfectly and provided me a reliable way to communicate when the cell phone
system failed.

Michael.
VK5ZEA