I'd love to see a poll on whether anyone cares whether DV to DV Dongle is
amateur radio.

I happen to agree that a "QSO" -- or "Ham Radio" as has been stated here - must
involve RF.  I was born in 1944, and in back in the 50s, everything we Hams did
involved RF.

So if I use my DStar HT to talk to a DStar repeater linked to a reflector, and
talk to someone else on an HT, or mobile, whose repeater is linked to the same
reflector, and I'm in California and the other is in Australia, is that DX?
Not in my book.

Did I enjoy the conversation?  Yes.  Do I care whether it's Ham Radio?  No.

Now, let's say my end is Dongle to reflector.  Is it DX?  No.  Is it Ham Radio?
 Well, probably, but who cares?

Now. if the other end is also Dongle, is it Ham Radio?  No.  Does it matter.
Not to me.

This is a hobby.  I am not looking for ways to ignore other people, or put them
down.  I am looking to enrich my life, maybe help someone else and have some
fun while I'm on this planet.

I just don't understand the question -- is it Ham Radio?  It's the wrong
question.  Are you enjoying yourself?  Did you learn something talking to that
other human being?  Those are more interesting questions.

  Jim - K6JM