John,

as I understand the Icom software it depends on an IP based transport
network with one trust server, where the gateway servers connects to. I
think it is not possible to build a mesh network with this version.

But I think you can build your own network with several ID-1 and simple
routers, set up with small IP network segments and fixed routes between
them. One small example:

  H3router_ID-1~ID-1_H2router_ID-1~ID-1_MCCrouter_ID-1~ID-1_H1router
     |                 |                   |                 |
   H3LAN             H2LAN               MCCLAN            H1LAN

In my example you have Hospital 3 not seeing the MCC, but Hospital 2. 2
and 1 can connect to MCC directly. The H3router needs two LAN interfaces
with two separate IP networks. Between H3router and H2router is the same
IP network. H2router needs 3 interfaces and 3 networks. The MCCrouter
needs 3 interfaces and 3 networks. Every router needs static routes,
where to find all the other networks.

It should also be possible to run a tunneled network over all routers,
but the ID-1 is only half-duplex capable as I know and this may cause
bandwidth reduction. I'm not sure about this. You need to ask a better
IP guru.

73 de Reiner, dh9fax

--- In dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com, "aa2bn" <aa...@...> wrote:
> I'm involved with an emcomm project where several hospitals need
internet-free backup data communications to a facility called the
Medical Coordination Center (MCC). Some of the hospitals are close
enough to the MCC that an airlink can be established with an ID-1 and a
yagi antenna, the other hospitals are just too far away. Several
ID-RP2C/RP2D units and ID-1s have been purchased (but not installed
yet).  It seems the RP2Ds would require an internet connection to move
data to the MCC and if there were a regional internet outage (hurricanes
are our primary scenario) that would render the network ineffective.