On May 5, 2010, at 4:49 PM, milkman wrote:

I'm new to this group and would like to start off first saying Hello to everyone here. Now what I don't understand is this. It seems to me that D-Star could just be a huge money pit at this time. As I look around my state we have 4 D-Star repeaters total. Out of over 230 repeaters. And none of the D-Star work. What I'd like to know is. If there are 660,000 Ham in the US. And less than 3000 on D- Star. How long is it before the other 663,000 catch on to D-Star. And is it worth the effort?

Hi, back at you. Welcome to the group.  Do you have a callsign and name?

Every new mode/technology has a startup. A few pioneers to start it out. One can choose to be a pioneer and learn by doing the research and experimentation. If one just wants a tried and true system, they can use cellphones or wireline.

And wait for this format get up and running?

It is up and running 24x7x365 and growing as people discover its capabilities. The last 10-18 months has seen a marked increase in home brew work with node adapters, sound card GMSK, new software, and other components.

And if D-Star is so great. why hasn't Kenwood & Yaesu joined in?

Egos. (BTW, Kenwood does sell D-STAR in Japan, albeit a rebadged Icom radio.)

Because just reading post in this group. And looking at our D-Star repeaters in MD. Just makes me wonder if I could be throwing good money after bad?

A decision only you can make. It would help if the Maryland repeater(s) were on the gateway network -- maybe you could contact them and see what their plans are, or even help them get there?

And anything that seems to divide the Hams can't be good. Can it?

Let's see:

Spark vs CW
AM vs SSB
HF Packet vs CW/RTTY/...
PSK31 vs CW/RTTY/...
SSTV vs SSB
ATV vs Everyone
AM vs FM on VHF
Contests vs. Nets and Ragchewers

Hams in general seem to be a pretty independent and passionate crowd, that leads to frictions sometimes and more often than not forgetting first and foremost this is a hobby.

John D. Hays
Amateur Radio Station K7VE
PO Box 1223
Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 VOIP/SIP: j...@hays.org