Gordon,
I don't have many answers to your questions since I do not have an 80AD, but I
have a few for you that will help you along.

As far as I have seen, D-Rats is about the best out there and several groups
are using only D-Rats for ecom use.

The free software from ICOM's web site does configure the dv mode as well as
any function of the radio. Here is a hint to get it running properly. Before
you can enter the dv options you must clone the radio to the software. This
inputs all of the available options to program. I had the same issue with my
880h.

For the data cable, you will need a OPC-1529R (about $25) and a serial to usb
adapter. On your cloning cable that is a 1/4" jack. The data is a 3/32" jack
(from what I have read thus far) which is the same cable I used on my old 2200h
and use now on my 880h.

As far as the gps, haven't used it yet.

Good luck and 73!!

 Gary J Miller