From: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dstar_digi...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of john_ke5c
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:58 PM
To: dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DSTAR_DIGITAL] Re: Radios needed

> The Staten Island Digital Group is looking to purchase a few
> spare/replacement radios for its WG2MSK D-Star (G4ULF) repeater system.
>
> One of the radios in use seems to be a bit flakey, and the SM-50's I
> purchased at Dayton turn out to NOT be narrow band.

I've been thinking about this for an upcoming project. Unless you have a
nearby adjacent channel repeater, in this application - one fixed channel
operation, why do the radios need to be narrow band? You can throttle your
transmitted bandwidth by adjusting your modulator drive, and your S/N may be
very minimally degraded by adjacent spectral noise, but that may well be
imperceptible. The only issue might be synthesizer steps falling off your
frequency, but that can be remedied by a VCO adjustment. Thoughts?

73--John