Reduce the $$$ barrier? The D-Star chip costs about $25. No one is going to be
able to manufacture an open source vocoder chip for less than that.

What WOULD significantly lower the price is competition. Encourage more
manufacturers to market D-Star rigs and you'll see the price drop.

I'm not sure that this project has any future, but two codecs will probably
destroy D-Star, not make it more popular.

73,
Scott, N9AA