Change is very difficult for many individuals in all aspects of their life,
including amateur radio.  The resistance to change in our hobby is no different
than when AM replaced spark, SSB replaced AM on the HF bands, FM replaced AM on
the 2-meter band, repeaters replaced simples on VHF/UHF, new digital modes such
as packet replacing RTTY, and now D-Star and P25 are replacing analog repeaters.

The analog FMers have also had change issues with CTCSS and Digital Squelch.
Many of the analog repeater systems have have seen their activity peek in years
gone by as cellular technology and the internet have gained.

While most of the old technology survives (except for spark) the introduction
of the new technology, over time the new has the tendency to replace the old
and sometime in the future the new will also become the old.

D-Star activity is still on the upward curve, and I would guess it will
continue that way for a decade or two before something new comes along.