As you will see in the manual the 880 can use either the OPC-478 or
OPC-1529R cables.
If you search the internet you can easily find the pinout for these serial
cables and make your own if cost is a real issue.
The cable is a very simple 3-wire hookup.
Either cable will work with many USB to SERIAL adaptors. Some people have
problems with the adaptors, but they are pretty cheap & I have used several
without problem.
You can buy a copy of the 478 cable on Ebay for about $7 delivered - pretty
cheap. They work fine.
The USB version runs around $12 delivered - but I have not tried these
cables.

The OPC-1529R is much more expensive - for reasons I can't understand.
Demand maybe. However, it is the one you need if you want to to send data
thru the radio.

Anyway, I would get the 478 to start, and plan to build the 1579 yourself
later - total parts cost is about $5..

73
Ted
W1GRI