It seems VOP_RWLOCK takes a long time. "ufs_rwlock" starts at line 12, but ends
at line 15611. Is there another application keeps reading/writing in your
system?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Hans-Peter
Sent: 2008年12月3日 21:41
To: dtrace-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [dtrace-discuss] How to dig deeper

Hello all,

I added a clause to my script.
sysinfo:::
/self->traceme==1 && pid == $1/
{
        trace(execname);
        printf("sysinfo: timestamp : %d" , timestamp);
}
A subsequent trace created a file of about 19000 lines.
I loaded in Excel to be able to subtrace timestamps etc.
The longest jump in timestamp is between the first pair of savectx and
restorectx at line 70.
I count 50 savectx/restorectx calls in my trace.
But the actual physical write as indicated by the sysinfo is almost at the end
of the file directly after the ufs_write and fop_write call end (line 18746).

        24      <-      tsd_agent_get   oracle  timestamp
1795469946839100
        24      ->      ufs_lockfs_top_vop_return       oracle  timestamp
1795469946841500
        24      <-      ufs_lockfs_top_vop_return       oracle  timestamp
1795469946844300
        24      <-      ufs_lockfs_end  oracle  timestamp
1795469946846700
        24      <-      ufs_write       oracle  timestamp
1795469946849600
        24      <-      fop_write       oracle  timestamp
1795469946853500                57,365,700
        24      |       pwrite  syswrite        oracle  sysinfo timestamp
1795469946856800
        24      |       pwrite  writech oracle  sysinfo timestamp
1795469946860200

So it seems that the actual write not the bottle neck but
I attached a zip file with the excel document.

Am I right in thinking that is is more an OS issue than a storage issue?

Regards Hans-Peter