On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, James Carlson wrote:

J writes:
There doesn't seem to be any Dtrace hooks for monitoring ddi put/get. I think this would be a great feature for developers as they would be able to monitor hardware access at the register level. Is there any reason why these hooks do not exist already?

This is CR 4969919.

Yes, it's extremely annoying when debugging drivers, and the RE has
suggested that it be closed as "will not fix."

For the sun4v hypervisor hcalls, I've built special versions that use save/restore instead of leafs so I could simply dtrace them. Could we add a build flag and extra code for low speed versions of ddi_put/get?

The people who really want it probably don't mind switching kernels, since they're probably running debug anyways.

-- Dave