Chad Mynhier wrote:
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Steve Scargall <steve.scarg...@sun.com> wrote:
As Pavan suggested DTrace isn't preloading the libraries.  Try using the
LD_PRELOAD, LD_PRELOAD_32, or LD_PRELOAD_64 environmental variables to preload
the libraries you need.  There's an example on my blog
http://blogs.sun.com/madlab/entry/dtrace_the_pid_provider_and

While that might be a workaround, it's not the solution.  You
shouldn't need to know all of the libraries an application is linked
against in order to use DTrace against it.

This is a deeper bug.  For example, if I stop dladm on entry to its
first strcmp(), I see this:

# pldd -F `pgrep dladm`
8967:   dladm show-link
/usr/lib/libc/libc_hwcap2.so.1
#
# pmap -F `pgrep dladm`
8967:   dladm show-link
08046000       8K rw---    [ stack ]
08050000      80K r-x--  /sbin/dladm
08074000       8K rw---  /sbin/dladm
08076000       4K rw---    [ heap ]
FEE30000    1276K r-x--  /usr/lib/libc/libc_hwcap2.so.1
FEF7F000      28K rwx--  /usr/lib/libc/libc_hwcap2.so.1
FEF86000       8K rwx--  /usr/lib/libc/libc_hwcap2.so.1
FEF90000       4K rwx--    [ anon ]
FEFA0000       4K rw---    [ anon ]
FEFB0000       4K rw---    [ anon ]
FEFBE000     180K r-x--  /lib/ld.so.1
FEFFB000       8K rwx--  /lib/ld.so.1
FEFFD000       4K rwx--  /lib/ld.so.1
 total      1616K
#

But if I look at dlmgmtd, I see the right thing:

# pldd `pgrep dlmgmtd`
15:     /sbin/dlmgmtd
/usr/lib/libc/libc_hwcap2.so.1
/lib/libdladm.so.1
/lib/libcurses.so.1
/lib/libavl.so.1
/lib/libdlpi.so.1
/lib/libinetutil.so.1
/lib/libnvpair.so.1
/lib/libnsl.so.1
/lib/libsysevent.so.1
#

This suggests it's a libproc/procfs bug, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I exchanged some email with Rod Evans and then Jonathan Adams; as it turns out, if the complete library name (libmylib.so.1) is specified, DTrace does its job; apparently, the matching code has suffered since it was introduced.

thx all for your help
Michael
--
Michael Schuster        http://blogs.sun.com/recursion