On 05/29/09 08:45, Peter Jones wrote:
I'm in the process of writing a daemon that uses libdtrace to collect
performance data continuously.  The only real problem I've run into is
figuring out how to limit the amount of data I'm collecting.

I obviously don't need to know about every single IO or network event,
just a sampling.  The solution that I'm leaning towards is to have the
daemon start and stop dtrace instrumenting at regular intervals.

In order to avoid an appreciable performance impact from using dtrace
for this type of work, does it make sense to start and stop dtrace all
the time, or is it better to keep it running and throw away the data
points I don't want?

wouldn't it make more sense to use kstats for the long-term data collection? after all, that's what they're there for.

(I know, probably not what you wanted to hear ;-)

Michael
--
Michael Schuster        http://blogs.sun.com/recursion
Recursion, n.: see 'Recursion'