"not enough space" indicates an errno 28 ENOSPC, which isn't
listed is the fork man page under ERRORS. Are you sure it's
fork(2) that's failing?

It may be errno 12, ENOMEM.

So what does a general memory health profile of the system
look like? Lots of free memory? Plenty of swap space?

How about the process executing the forks - is it a
32-bit or 64-bit process? If 32-bit, is it hitting the limits
of it's address space?

/jim

tester wrote:
Hi Jim,

The app software doesn't poduce a errno  in its logs (bad software, although from a
leading vendor, I think they inherited it, but a error string says "not enough
space" I tried grepping some of the header files but could not find a match.

/var/adm/messages: that's the first thing I looked at, but no help there either.

I tried to match the error string in src.opensolaris.org, some hits turned up
but I wasn't confident they were a result of this.

Thank you.