On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 04:15:30PM -0700, Randy Fishel wrote:
>   This morning I had the thought that maybe some or all of this
> functionality could be handled by having a 'logger' provider in
> dtrace.  My needs are to have a lightweight non-volatile logging
> mechansim that will continue to function while normal hardware I/O
> channels are being stopped or powered off.  But I considered that this
> "feature" might be usefull to other consumers.

Have you looked at anonymous DTrace scripts?  Those are used for tracing
early in boot, and their results end up in a kernel-land buffer until
retrieved from user-land once the system is up.  You could use the same
approach.  One of the nice things about this is that if there's a panic
you can always get at the buffered data using kmdb (if you can't use
kmdb but can force a dump then you can always look at the data in the
dump).

Nico