Chris Gerhard wrote:
> How hard would it be to have is-enabled kernel probes?
>
> While tracing scsi packets I can get lots of really good data by putting
> probes in scsi_transport() and scsi_hba_pkt_comp() as they contain the scsi
> packet. However the scsi_address that is available is opaque to all except
> the HBA and only available in a meaningful form by calling
> scsi_device_unit_address(). Clearly doing this when the probe is not enabled
> would be very expensive so having an is-enabled kernel probe would solve this.

I thought that object translations (such as for printing) were supposed
to be done in user space -- meaning that instead of an "is-enabled" test
in the kernel to avoid "expensive" argument set-ups, you should just
unload the raw blob and have a dtrace extension to decode that data.

--
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carls...@workingcode.com>