On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 02:12:35PM +0100, Mark Phalan wrote:
> I'm working on adding USDT probes to a library. The library is built in
> ON and hence includes CTF data. I've set up a number of translators for
> the probes to use to avoid exposing the internals of the library.
> Unfortunately it appears as though dtrace can't take advantage of the
> CTF data in userspace libraries to walk library data structures. The
> library data-structures are complex and cannot simply be included in the
> provider support file so I have to resort to teaching the library to
> setup the arguments for dtrace to consume with an intermediate data
> structure. This data strucutre can be then included in the provider
> support file (in /usr/lib/dtrace).
>
> I couldn't find a CR/RFE tracking this. Is there one?

What you're looking for is called "is-enabled" probes.  These are probes
that do have disabled probe effects (a branch, basically).  You get to
gather the data needed for the probes only when the probes are enabled.

User-land pointer chasing and structured type handling via simple syntax
that relies CTF is not a feature of DTrace right now; you can only do
that in kernel-land.

Nico