Following up (the offline exchange wasn't intended), cutting the principal buffer down to 4k gave a startup time around 10 seconds, and cutting the agg buffer down to 32k in addition cut it down to seven. That's close enough to 4*(T5220 behavior) to satisfy me (though it would be very nice if it were more scalable...).

Regards,
Ryan