On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 05:08:07PM +0200, Mark Phalan wrote:
> I'm working on a set of USDT probes and need to expose fairly complex
> data in a reasonable way. I'd like to build up some compound structures
> but dtrace doesn't seem to like translating them :(

The PID provider and USDT do not give you nice syntactic sugar for
handling user-land data.  In DTrace probe context all you can do is
copyin and interpret as necessary.  It's annoying.  In theory the D
compiler could generate the necessary DOF code by consuming
CTF/DWARF/STABS from the relevant user-land programs and objects; in
practice that's a very difficult thing to pull off (this is the standard
answer, and I believe it).

Nico