On Apr 20, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Josh ben Jore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> perl-5.12.0 has apparently integrated Alan Burlison and Richard Dave's
> patches to add sub-entry and sub-return probes. I'm so far unable to get this
> to work. I compiled Perl-5.12.0 with -Dusedtrace and tried all the default
> example programs. Andy Armstrong in the perl5-porters
> http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2010/04/msg159223.html
> thread claims this all works for him.
>
> In ~/src/perl but using the newly installed copy of perl in
> /usr/local/perl-5.12.0/bin/perl.

Josh,

        Its possible you're seeing some timing issues. Try launching a perl
script that runs forever.

        In another shell, as root, look up the pid of your running perl script.
Now run:

        dtrace -l -P perl$pid

        I'm using the $pid here as an email variable :-), your actual command
line will look
like:

        dtrace -l -P perl183

        Does this show any probes?

        If the answer is no, the next experiment to try is asking dyld to tell
you what probes it is registering with dtrace.

        In your root shell, set the DYLD_PRINT_DOFS environment variable to 1.

        setenv DYLD_PRINT_DOFS 1

        Now run your perl script in that shell. You're looking for output like
this:

[Ika:~] root# setenv DYLD_PRINT_DOFS 1
[Ika:~] root# ls
dyld: registering DOF section 0x0x7fff8c939f38 in libcache.dylib with dtrace,
ID=0x00000001
dyld: registering DOF section 0x0x7fff8c13e6ed in libSystem.B.dylib with
dtrace, ID=0x00000002
dyld: registering DOF section 0x0x7fff8c13ee1b in libSystem.B.dylib with
dtrace, ID=0x00000003
.CFUserTextEncoding     .forward                Library

        Do you see anything from a perl executable or library registering with
dtrace?

        James M