Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I have shut off interrupt processing on 4 out of the 16 cpus, and now I can run
dtrace
profiling, without the watchdog killing dtrace.

The machine still goes into a bogged-down state.
Running dtrace -n 'profile:::profile-3456 /arg0/ { @[stack(4)] = count(); }'

for a minute or so while in the "bad state"  fingers these stacks as most
frequent:
Looks mostly idle to me.   Yet, as I type, I have to wait seconds for my text
to appear on the console,
and network throughput is down to nothing.

Ideas, anyone?

    unix`disp_getwork+0xb6
              unix`disp+0x1c2
              unix`swtch+0xa4