On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 01:44:51PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:42:27AM -0700, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:29:18PM -0500, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> > > Can't this be done with dtrace_xcall()?
> >
> > You can't cross-call from probe context, let alone wait for one to complete.
> >
> > dtrace_xcall() is used by the dtrace infrastructure to ensure that any
> > in-flight
> > dtrace_probe()s while a state change was happening have completed before
> > continuing on to the next step.
>
> Ah, thanks for the tip.
>
> > > BTW, another backtrace-like action I'd love to see would be something
> > > like ptree(), which would output ptree(1)-like output (but without
> > > program arguments) that could then be aggregated on.
> >
> > That could be handy.
>
> Yes, I think it would be, particularly for profiling apps with lots of
> short-lived processes, such as ON's build :)

Yeah, Nico and I were recently discussing a situation where a "stf_build
package" of the EF test suite was taking about 5.5 hours on my
workstation with a load avg.  of .04.  This is a situation where make is
spawning a number of processes so having a ptree aggregation would be
useful in profiling where the time is being spent at the process level.

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle