Wading in a little late but...

I have used Nubus video cards in the slots on the Dock II -- no problem at
all.  Now, I'm using an old Mac II video card that I pulled from a IIcx,
but it fires up right away with no trouble.  After the card is installed,
all you have to do is go to the monitors control panel to set things up --
very simple.

I'm currently waiting impatiently for my Apple 8-24 24bit to replace the
old Mac II card -- and don't particularly expect any problems with it either.

Putting an ethernet card in the other slot is an option, but kind of
pointless since the Dock II already has ethernet built in.

Instructions for installing nubus cards is available on the apple web site.
 You need to download the standard user manual for the duo -- it's called
"Powerbook User's Guide for PowerBook Duo Computers", and I think it might
be part number 030-4272-A, but don't quote me on it :).  The actual
instructions are in chapter 13, and include complete, easy to read
instructions with pictures (boy do I wish I had had that the first time I
tried to get into the case :/)

Last but not least, the part number for the "Apple ethernet twisted pair
transceiver", which is what you need to connect the Dock II's eithernet to
something like an RJ45, is M0437Z/B.  But don't let it get you down: these
are incredably easy to get, as there are a variety of people who make them.

Now if someone would only make a 56k Nubus modem, I'd be rocking.

Now my question -- which I'll have my own answer for as soon as my new card
comes in, 'cause I just gotta try it:  Can you run three monitors off of a
Mac?

:)

Brian LeLacheur