Just a quick rant while I wait for another pot of coffee to brew. It seems a
lot of people are talking about "form vs. function" and how it relates to
apple products, (in particular, the g4 cube) When I first saw the cube I
thought it was a wonder piece of engineering and industrial design. My
problem with it is, WHY?

Why make another novelty computer when you've shot yourself in the foot to
adhere to a "matrix" of consumer & professional products. Apple is ignoring
general market demand here to make something pretty.

I'm probably not alone in saying I'd much rather seem them develop products
in two key areas. A subnotebook computer & a handheld device.

Gee Steve, how does it feel to have your predecessor plant the seeds in the
handheld market with the Newton only for you to burn down the barn. I'm sure
you're still getting thank you letters from Palm. This market isn't going
away anytime soon.

And how about the Duo/2400 line. Let's take a break from the 7 pound
"luggables" and consider something smaller. Sony's VAIO line is an
outstanding example.

Not not staying Apple should stop what they're doing or that the ibook,
powerbook or cube are bad products. I just think some real development has
to be done in these two areas to keep apple on the front line of computing
trends instead of playing catch up all the time. Of course, that's just my
$2.00 worth. Oops, coffee's ready. Hey, what do you guys think?

http://profiles.msn.com.