on 12/19/00 9:55 AM, Gregory La Vardera at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> on 12/19/2000 8:36 AM, (Duo/2400 List) at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
>> I suggest you get the free version of TechTool and rebuild your desktop from
>> within that.  TechTool will completely delete your desktop databases.  Just
>> using the Finder to rebuild doesn't.  The Finder isn't always very robust in
>> that respect.  Actually, though, come to think of it, you can just use File
>> Buddy to rebuild your desktop (or replace it).  Anyway, bottom line is that
>> you probably need to completely torch your desktop database and allow it to
>> get rebuilt from scratch.
>
> Thanks, but I have done that - but I have not tried Techtool since using
> FileBuddy. Something tells me it won't matter.

Do you mean that you completely deleted the desktop files and you're still
having the problem?  I think, in that case, the next step is to delete all
those desktop files again (from every partition) and restart WITHOUT
EXTENSIONS.  IIRC, there's some extensions that can mess with the proper
reconstruction of the desktop.

> This started after a crash in Explorer5, and the only applications that did
> not loose custom icons were Explorer and Outlook. Could this be related to
> internet settings or prefs somehow? I know there is some interaction with
> file mapping to helper applications that looks at creator codes etc - Could
> something here have gone corrupted?

Well, I certainly hope you're not letting any of the cache files from these
get written to your HD.  Browsers are constantly writing to cache and that
really can thrash your HD (although Explorer is MUCH better in this regard
than NetScrape, since there's only ONE file, not a gazillion).  The best
thing to do is create a self-mounting disk image, put it in your startup
items folder, and route your cache files there.

Since all this started as the result of a crash, I'd run Norton (or
DiskWarrior or TechToolPro) before anything else.

- Eric.