on 04/01/01 22:58, Mark A. Kippert at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> I use Outlook Express 5 (OE5) on my PowerBook which I tote back and forth to
> work everyday. That way I can do all of my emailing from one computer. I
> don't have to remember what I wrote at work or send myself CCs.
>
> I send mail from home via DSL using my ISP's SMTP server (Telocity).
>
> At work I use a modem/dialup connection and send mail via the SMTP server of
> the ISP we use there since I don't have access to my own ISP.
>
> It's so easy to switch all my settings using the Location Manager. Location
> Manager is wonderful!
>
> However, here is my problem.
>
> I have to go into account settings in OE5 and manually change the SMTP
> server address for sending from either location. This is a real pain since I
> have 4 email accounts that I use regularly. Thankfully I can leave the POP
> server address alone for retrieving mail. It's just sending that's a pain.
>
> Does anyone know a solution to this dilemma? Is there a way to add an
> alternate SMTP server to Outlook? I noticed that there is a button below the
> SMTP server field for "advanced sending options" but I am not clear as to
> what those options are. There is no info that I can find in OE's online help
> and I can't find any info at MicroSloth's web site.
>
> I like Outlook so please don't suggest changing. More than that I'm lazy and
> don't want to transfer the tons of info, addresses and the couple thousand
> emails I have archived. I even have an archive folder of all the DuoDigests
> that I have received (at an alternate address) so that I can do a text
> search of them when I try to recall a discussion topic that happened a while
> back.
>
> TIA for any help!
> -makmac

Hi Mark!

I had the same dilemma while in Canada during the holidays. As far as I can
remember, OE doesn't support this notion of a different SMTP server,
depending on the location. You can configure different Internet setups and
then switch among them using the Location Manager, but I don't remember OE
switching the SMTP server. That's, AFAIK, the only setting that OE will
ignore in the Internet setup. I can switch between 2 internet setups where
the one at the office will have a proxy server, and this is supported by OE
(not the ability to send email over the proxy server if this one doesn't
allow it). When opening the OE preferences, I see that the proxy server is
set or not, depending on the active location, but that doesn't work for the
email accounts. And if it would work, it would only for one account
(Location Manager provides only one email account setting per location),
which wouldn't be very good for me anyway (Location Manager is an excellent
step in the right direction, but it's still a bit limited. How many people
here have more than one email account???).

But all of this works pretty well with Netscape Communicator and its
profiles...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]