From: Sidney Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:29:16 +0100
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, PowerList <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No More Sub-Compacts From Apple? (Petition?)

This is a comment to a discussion raging on the Duolist so I thought I'd
post it to Powerlist too. The ongoing Powerlist survey also seems to
strongly favor lighter/smaller too (although 15" screens are a strong 2nd).

The Sony VAIO pcgc1xs with its 1024 x 480 fast acting virtual screen for
instant 1024 x 768), jog dial and built in digicam at 2 lbs is a real dream
with slick battery life, biometrics, and paper cues to the digicam for
automated presentations. Slim. Elegant. Light. Fits in between papers.
Begging to go everywhere. Wow! I've said before, Apple should get Sony to
design/build them a Mac version. For serious computing, a subnotebook is
much more useful than a PDA. (A certain J. O'Grady has also been known to
like the Sony mini-Viao).

A large capacity 32mb thin factor HD (aftermarket, and capacity will only
get bigger) allows all the CD/DVDs disk imaged that one might need to
obviate lugging a CD/DVD add-on. I'm tempted with Mac OS  emulation on this
PC for reading certain files. The biggest drawback is troubleshooting
Windows and maintaining a clean running system--a daunting task even for
those who do it regularly.