>Again, what cause for concern?  Just how high of a voltage are they calling
>a safety concern?

mains voltage at 240Volts

>  And exactly where do they think this voltage will come
>from?

Cross over on the circuit boards: there are many (not including Duo I might
add) that still do not meet the long standing flashover protection in the
tests.

>I've never seen a modem that was powered DIRECTLY by wall power and
>in fact, many modems (such as the ones inside the Duo) are simply running
>off motherboard power.  Now, does anybody SERIOUSLY believe that a Duo, even
>when plugged into the wall, is going to somehow spontaneously route high
>voltage power into the phone line???

certainly not when the Duo is running on battery alone. This is not the
point however.

>The only problems I've ever heard of

I suggest a few words with Electrical Unions and Telco unions in 240 v
countries if you want to know where the concerns come from.

>And again, just what are these "standards" by which the average modem in use
>in the States is judged to be "low"??

For one thing the US runs at only 110volts, and any tests are also done at
that voltage, rather than 240v

As a matter of record, Flashover from mains tracks on circuit boards to
close to modem lines and transformers/ inductors have been the the main
causes of failure in the published test reports.Modems are not the only
device involved, ANY device that is to be connected to the PSTN system has
always been subject to these tests.They are not very demanding for
appropriately designed components.

>this seems more like a case of a state-run monopoly

Perhaps this might be the case in your country of residence, but in
Victoria Australia the power industry is completely privatised and the
testing is done by a different organisation completely.

Overall, using the Duo UNconnected to the mains cannot cause any problems -
these notes were to explain long standing general standards applicable to
devices connected to the PSTN network in a number of 240V countries, as
requested.

marc