I had major issues with a hard drive I initialized using OS 9.0.4 Drive
Setup when I reverted back to 8.6. Mac OS Extended disks actually have a
system file on the invisible Mac OS Standard partition and OS 9.0.4 handled
this differently. I'm not too sure if its backwards compatible. I eventually
backed everything up, re-initialized under the Drive Setup that came with
8.6, and have been a happy camper since.

The first thing I'd try is Disk First Aid 8.6 - not to be confused with the
OS version. This was an update that came out in between OS 9.0.4 and 9.1
that fixes some issues with that invisible system file on the Standard
partition.

Also, I'd try trusty Disk Warrior, maybe a Drive Setup "Update Driver",
resetting the PRAM, and last but not least, the backup, re-initialize and
restore.

Good Luck,

Jay

P.S. Disk First Aid 8.6:
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11889

That's North American English. Do a search for the International English
version if that's what you need.