Peter Liethen asks:

>It sounds like a DHCP lease renewal is going on. If the DHCP server on
>the other end is slow, or you have TCP/IP checked as load only when
>needed, you'll get thoes lock up. So I doubt it is a problem with the
>card, unless you had a previous Ethernet card that didn't lock up.
>Do you use DHCP for IP?

Yes , I use DHCP for IP. I do not have TCP/IP checked as "load only when
needed".

>If you use DHCP under 8.6, it kind of broken. Get the 'TCP/IP
>Options' Control panel and check 'Always release DHCP address' It
>fixed DHCP for my under 8.6

My TCP/IP Control Panel (in options submenu) does not *have* an "always
release DHCP address" to check. That got me curious about my TCP/IP
Control Panel. A quick "Get Info" shows it as version 2.0.1 and as part
of MacOS 8.5 (!). Since I installed MacOS 8.6 quite a while ago and
"Clean Install System-Merged" via Conflict Catcher, is this possibly an
out of date control panel issue?

Thanks for all of your help. What a great resource!