Well, I have slogged through upgrading my PB2400/G3 from OS 8.1 to 8.6.
No, the iMac DV installer CD did not work, it just said "No" and quit.
After copying the system from the iMac, and sorting through all the
control panels, strips, extensions, fonts and prefs, it's about 98%
working - haven't tested all apps yet.  The most disturbing thing was
that my Dayna Communicard (10BT Ethernet PCMCIA card) seems to not work
with the two Open Transport 2.5.1 extensions that seemed to ship with OS
8.6:

OpenTransport 2.5.1 open transport library
Open Transport ASLM Modules 2.5.1 library

To get it to work, I removed these extensions and replaced them with the
old Open Transport 1.3.1 files from OS 8.1:

Open Tpt AppleTalk Library  541,754 bytes   1.3.1   libr    OMGR
Open Tpt Internet Library   485,155 bytes   1.3.1   libr    OMGR
Open Transport Library  587,352 bytes   1.3.1   libr    OMGR
OpenTptAppleTalkLib 59,455 bytes    1.3.1   shlb    otan
OpenTptInternetLib  281,210 bytes   1.3.1   shlb    otan
OpenTransportLib    586,133 bytes   1.3.1   shlb    otan

The Dayna Communicard is no longer made or supported.  I have version
2.3.1 of their software, which is the latest and last.  Is anyone out
there using a Communicard with OS 8.6?  I have the non-modem version
(Ethernet LAN only, no modem phone line).  Also, does anyone know if I'm
going to have any other problems with this old Open Transport under 8.6?
If not, I'll let you know if I do!

Jerry Krinock

San Jose, CA

Claris Em@iler 2.3 for Macintosh